Monday 30 March 2015

Itsy Bitsy Artsy Crafty Inspiration

When I was a little girl I liked to do things that are synonymous with little girls, dancing, twirling a ribbon around like Olga Corbett (one for the over 40's gang there), drawing and making things. I was never happier than when I was sitting at the kitchen table with my pens & pencils, making Christmas decorations or Easter pom-pom chicks. 

As I grew older, I grew out of making things. Life took over and I found pleasure in books and television. After concentrating at work all day; I didn't want to come home and concentrate more. 

When the 9yo was coming up to being one, I made a lovely birthday card of the Teletubbies in Teletubby land. I had great intentions of sending it off to CBeebies but ran out of time.  I finished the card and it's still in the box of "stuff" I keep to embarrass the 9yo with when he's a big burly man.

This was probably one of the only projects I did actually complete.  I am a "giver upper".  I start all enthusiastic then the initial excitement wears off. The "project" isn't finished as quickly as I thought it would, it's not "perfect" and I run out of steam. I abandon projects and move on, usually to a good book which I know I can finish and fulfils my sense of accomplishment.

Yesterday, I went to the Arts & Craft show at the Excel Centre in London.  To say I was inspired was an understatement. There were so many things to make and do.  I was particularly fascinated by the marbling, the cushions with lots of buttons on and the advent calendars with little pockets.  Now I'm thinking I should maybe invest in a 2nd hand sewing machine and join Etsy and make my fortune selling shabby chic furniture on FaceBook. 

On the other hand, I'll keep my secret stash of felt tips away from the 5yo and just do some secret colouring in.


No comments:

Post a Comment