Wednesday 14 September 2016

A Little Light Reading

It's been "revealed" the age at which parents stop reading to their children is:   11

I have one of them and I've stopped reading to him.  I love books, I love reading and getting lost in a story with characters I care about and want to join on whatever part of their journey.  But I don't want to do it reading out loud to someone who's not really that interested, wishing they were playing on their X-box or watching YouTube and keeps asking me inane questions to waste time.

By the time the 11 year old is going to bed it's 9pm. I'm tired and have usually lost patience and the will to live by then.  I've been up since 6am, made packed lunches, done one school run, commuted on trains to work and back and done an 8 hour stint in the office. Meals are made and questions are raised about the homework that should or shouldn't be done.  I've argued with both children about showers and hair washing and wrangled the 6 year old into bed bemoaning the fact the 11 year old has a later bedtime.  

I still read to the 6 year old.  She's too little for me to stop but I bet I wont be by the time she's 11. 

Do you still read to your 11 year old?  

No comments:

Post a Comment